Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hisnayres
Hisnayres

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:43pm

Post Subject: shoreline charging

hi tony, can you please advise.when our 6 month old n/b is mooored in the marina and attached to electric supply via a landline and we run the engine the battery warning light remains on, if we disconect the landline all is well.has this any connection with an incident 2 months ago when unknown to us the landline became disconnected witch resulted in our domestic gel batteries being almost totally discharged and only accepting a charge when the machanic from the new boat co connected the starter live terminal to the domestic live terminal, although everything ran ok when fully recharged.many thanks rob. nb hisnayres

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:03pm

This is pure guesswork and without knowing a lot more about the type of charger (if any) that you are using and the way the alternator is wired it must remain so. Alternators normally need a small amount of current to energise them so I suspect the domestic batteries were so flat two months ago they could not supply this small current. Connecting the engine battery to the domestic battery allowed the engine battery to supply the current so the domestic alternator energised. I have some concern about what any subsequent charging from the alternator may have done to the batteries but as long as both the alternator's and charger's maximum charging voltage is compatible with your batteries all should be well. All I can think is happening is that the land line charger voltage is so high it has caused the alternator's voltage regulator to think the batteries are fully charged so the alternator is not allowed to start delivering voltage. However I have some reservations about this explanation. Try turning the shoreline off for a day or so (depending upon amount of current you use in a day) and then turn it back on and see if the warning lamp works normally then. If it does I think it is as I said, if it does not I would Eb concerned about the shoreline charger's voltage setting. Tony Brooks

Hisnayres
Hisnayres

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04pm

thanks Tony, I will give this a try and report back in due course. Also my apologies for for the lack of info and bad grammer in my email I clicked the wrong button and then it was too late, the e mail had gone, I think it's an age thing! mine...

Hisnayres
Hisnayres

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:03pm

Hi Tony, tried as you suggested, all now seems fine.I will check again on my next visit to our boat.I must say that this service by Canal Boat is superb. Thanks once more Rob.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.