Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
richardg
richardg

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:22pm

Post Subject: Frost precautions

Tony we had an interesting debate on our marina this weekend regarding frost precautions.All I have ever done on my narrowboat is turn off water stop tap then run taps till flow stops and -touch wood- have never had problems with freezing.The heating system has anti-freeze in. Some fellow boaters were horrified at the thought of not leaving on some heat source. Whats your opinion?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14pm

As long as you leave the taps open then most of the water in the system will be below the waterline where it will tend to be a bit warmer than the air outside. It will also have air around it to expand into if it freezes. Also most narrowboats now have plastic plumbing which again is far more resistant to freezing than copper. I would be concerned about water trapped on an expensive shower mixer or the diaphragm chamber of an instant gas water heater and I would be a little concerned about the calorifier if it was left full of water with no air in it, but your draining regime probably puts some air into it. I used to drain down as you describe, then drain the calorifier and finally remove the mixer, but have not bothered for the last few years - perhaps this year will be the one that catches me out! I also leave all my hopper windows open that are not directly above a bed or seating, to minimise condensation. With the BSS ventilation requirements I do wonder how much heat from low wattage heaters is low enough to do any good apart from keeping the spiders warm. Tony Brooks

richardg
richardg

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48pm

Tony so far so good and we've just gone through the coldest spell in ages. Hope yours the same.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.39 seconds.