Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
blavster
blavster

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:38pm

Post Subject: Automatic hotwater

Hello, I'm looking to install a LPG powered water heater on my narrowboat, along with a twin-coil calorifier to replace the single coil one already installed. I was wondering if you knew how I would go about boilers that can be set to come on automatically, i.e. on a timer, so I can wake up to lovely piping hot water? I know some of the Morso boilers come with electonic ignition, but am unsure whether this can be made automatic. Cheers. Ben

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28pm

Dear Ben, you are getting into a problematic area here because what is "allowed" under the Boat Safety Scheme is contrary to the codes of practise for professional gas appliance installers. Basically it should be impossible for you to get a non-room sealed gas appliance (apart from a cooker) installed. This rather limits your choice of appliance. Looking at your question, as far as I can tell Morso make solid fuel stoves - do you mean Morco who do make gas water heaters? If you do then I suspect the room sealed one requires a mains electrical supply and even then I am not sure it will do what you want. The "new" Alde Comfort 3010 series of boilers can be set to different temperatures for different times of the day so it seems you could set it very low for the night time, but this is meant to be a central heating boiler. I know the previous model would work happily with it only heating a calorifier but I have no experience of the new one so you had better ask Alde direct: Alde International (UK) Ltd, Regent Park, Park Farm South, Wellingborough, Northants, NN8 6GR. Tel: 01933 677765 Fax: 01933 674975 Email: info@alde.co.uk I also suspect that their earlier boiler could have a timer fitted in parallel with the thermostat to do what you want, but I can not advise that you carry out any modifications not authorised by the manufacturer. Another "problem" with this boiler is that you can not use copper pipes and calorifier with it so its plastic or stainless steel. Please remember that gas heating seems to have a reputation for being a bit expensive. I do know some of the diesel water heaters offer what you want but they bring a totally different set of problems. Sorry not to be much help. Tony Brooks

blavster
blavster

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08pm

Tony, If I was to use a Morco (close to morso eh!) water heater via a calorifier, would I need to run a seperate pump to pump water around through the calorifier and back through the heater? If this was the case then maybe I could leave the heater in pilot stage and put the pump on a timer, so that when it kicks in, the heater ignites and starts doing its business? I think you may have mentioned before about the possibility of the water over heating. Could a safety blow-off valve be incorporated, like the one on top of my present calorifier, to overcome this. Or are these heaters designed to be used purely as instant water heaters? Hope I'm not treading over old ground too much. Cheers, Ben

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:43am

As I do not have the technical specifications for the Morco heater you are looking at I really can not say, but the usual Morco heaters for boats are instant gas water heaters similar to Ascot, Valiant & Paloma. These will deliver all but instant hot water because they are controlled by the water flow. However it would be very ill advised to use one of these in conjunction with a calorifier and in the past using one in series with a calorifier was likely to be a safety certificate failure because of the danger of steam coming from the taps. I will not discuss using a closed loop and pump between the heater input - output - calorifier - pump - heater input because it would be an unauthorised use. Morco also make combi-boilers but again they will require mains power and almost certainly will be far too large for a boat. I do not think you are talking about one of these. Back to the pump thing. This is exactly how the older Alde 2928 boiler works with its own inbuilt pump and I alluded to this in my last reply. However I can not be seen to encourage you to modify any system without the manufacturer's approval - even if I might do it on my own boat. Do not take this last phrase to mean I would do it or in any way approve or recommend such a modification. If you want to send me the Morco model number I will have a look on their website to see if I can give you any more information. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.