Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevemay27
stevemay27

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:32am

Post Subject: Dehumidifiers

I am considering using a dehumidifier to combat condensation and damp, we have a 58 ft narrowboat and would be grateful for your comments and advise I am quite interested in the Solarventi range of products do you have any experience of these

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56pm

I regret that I can see some pitfalls in using a dehumidifier on a boat so have no experience of them. First unless you totally seal all vents and cracks in the structure you will be spending a lot of money simply dehumidifying the atmosphere around the boat and unless the accommodation bilge is perfectly dry it is just an expensive and slow bilge pump. Assuming you can overcome those two points you the have to consider the wisdom of draining the water via a waste outlet. This time of year the outlet may well freeze up so the boat floods from the dehumidifier drain. Also think about any dangers that may arise from leaving "domestic" mains equipment running unattended in a damp atmosphere. I rely on leaving all my hoppers open that are not above soft furnishing so the boat may be cold but there is a through flow of air. Tony Brooks

stevemay27
stevemay27

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:50am

many thanks for your reply. The dehumidfier that I am considering is solar powered and sits on the roof connected to the inside of the boat by way of a mushroom vent hole. I do take your point regarding the bilge.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58am

Dear Steve, I very much suspect it will be a bit like trying to raise the level in a pound by peeing into it. I think the volume inside the boat will be so great in comparison to the size of dehumidifier it will be hard to notice the difference. However if you do decide to go ahead I would be very interested in the actual effect. Thanks, Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.