Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mikemoorse
mikemoorse

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35pm

Post Subject: BMC 1.8 starter motor

Last month the starter motor packed up, I had it reconditioned but on fitting the recon unit after a few hours it made a horrible noise and packed up. I took it back and was told the clutch had gone again and was given another recon unit. I installed the new unit and started the engine and it again made a horrible noise. I stopped the engine immediately to prevent further damage but obviously have a problem as I cannot start the engine to take it to a boatyard to get if fixed without doing further damage.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32am

Most helpful if you want a diagnosis - what were the symptoms of it "packing up" the first time? First of all I must assume the new starters have the correct number of teeth on the pinion for a 1.8, how many this should be I have no idea, but the wrong number of teeth can cause all sorts of problems including low cranking speed and apparent seizure. Without any info on any symptoms apart from a horrible noise, it "packing up", and a damaged clutch it is hard to be helpful, but I suspect your flywheel teeth may be very badly damaged so once the pinion engages it sticks in mesh when the engine starts. This would cause the clutch to rotate at thousands of revs and it is likely to fail very quickly. I would also expect the clutch body to have taken a bluish tinge from overheating. If I am right you would also have found that the engine was very reluctant to rev up and would seem to be under load as soon as it starts up. The noise expected is more a loud whirring than any sort of percussive noise. I think you need to remove the starter and then inspect the teeth on the flywheel. Make sure you have a good look at ALL the teeth, not just those where the engine has stopped. Damage is likely to be localised in two small sections 180 degrees apart. If you find damage (and I know it will be a real contortion for hours on end) you need to file, grind or stone the damaged ends of the teeth so there are no more burrs. It may be easier to remove the gearbox and take the flywheel off so you can get an angle grinder onto the teeth, but for goodness sake make sure you do the flywheel nuts up to the correct torque and lock them up properly. I think they will have metal lock tabs that need bending down to undo the nuts/bolts and back up once they have been tightened. If the teeth are fine try wobbling the flywheel just on the off chance it is lose. Also it would be worthwhile having a look at the injector pump. If its sticking out the side of the engine like a car's distributor would have done you have a 1.5, not a 1.8 so fitting the wrong starter would also explain the problem. 1.8 injector pumps are fitted parallel to the engine block. You may also find 1500 or 1800 cast into the block below the exhaust manifold. Please keep us informed of progress. Tony Brooks

mikemoorse
mikemoorse

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:30pm

Tony Thanks for your reply - it only ends up confirming what I thought - i.e. the flywheel is worn - I can feel burrs on the teeth of the flywheel so this is the probable answer. The starter motor is still ok as I stopped it as soon as I heard the grinding noise..... know any good mobile engineers as I cannot start the engine and get to a boatyard to solve the problem

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:17pm

Sorry Mike, the only people I am in regular contact with are RCR who would, I am sure, have solved your problem if you were a member. However the time involved may well cause them to decline membership at this time. If this were my boat i would have the motor off and be trying to chip the large burs off with a small cold chisel and the filing the worst of the remaining burs. As long as the burs are small enough to allow the pinion to pull free when you let go of the key it should be fine to run it. Tony Brooks

mikemoorse
mikemoorse

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08pm

Tony, Thank you for your prompt reply, I'll let you know how I get on Regards Mike

mikemoorse
mikemoorse

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:52pm

Tony, as you suspected, the teeth on the flywheel ring were burred. I managed to get a local mobile engineer in who stripped it all down and refurbished the starter ring. However, on replacing the starter motor it still would not disengage properly. This turned out to be because the auto engineers who supplied the reconditioned starter motor supplied the wrong one, it was 10 mm too long (the bit that goes into the casing) and that was why it would not disengage. They supplied another reconditioned unit free of charge, it was installed and now works fine. However, now no oil pressure shows, that's another story and is probably only due to faulty oil pressure sender switch as the gauge works fine....I can sort that myself. Thanks for the advice Mike

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.