Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Erzenmyne
Erzenmyne

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:43pm

Post Subject: Vetus stern gland

Dear Tony My friend owns a 1998 narrow boat with a vetus engine and propulsion that was fitted from new. He has not had any problems with the stern gland apart from having to tighten the castellated nut very slightly at the end of each season, to stop a very slight drip. He now thinks it's time to service the gland but is unsure of how to go about it. could you please advise. Thank you

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47pm

You have me mystified. The Vetus stern gland has no castellated nuts visible when assembled so I rather doubt your friend has a Vetus gland. It sounds to me like a conventional packed gland but to be sure please email me a digi-pic to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk so I ca have a look at it. If it is a packed gland then it may require re-packing after 10 years, but then again, if he only has to adjust it at the end of the season it may not -it all depends upon how much adjustment he has left. We published an article on packing the gland in mid 2006. The procedure is too long to explain here but it is all described and illustrated in the maintenance course notes on my website (TB-Training.co.uk). If it is a Vetus gland the instructions are here - http://www.vetusweb.com/manuals_55.php (all on one line). Tony Brooks

Erzenmyne
Erzenmyne

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:46pm

Tony thank you for your quick responce, as requested digi-pic

Vetus stern gland
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35pm

I am sorry I did not make it clear. I need he picture emailed to me at Tony@TB-Training.co.uk so I can see something with more detail than a postage stamp sized picture. If you find this unacceptable then I am afraid I can not help. From what I can see the gland looks a bit "odd" but without detail it is hard to tell. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:55pm

Thanks, I have now seen decent pictures and confirm it looks a "bit odd". It may well be a conventional gland with a water lubricated bearing or even no inboard bearing, but the shallowness of the castellated nuts give me some concern. I would carefully remove the locking plate and undo the castellated nut so I could look behind it. If there is some "string stuff" back inside the nut then its a packed gland. When the nut is pulled back you MIGHT see a collar around the shaft that the nut pushes against. If so gently pull this forward and see what is underneath it. If it is that string stuff then its a packed gland, if there is no "string" then it is something special so put everything back until the boat can be removed from the water for a full strip down and investigation. Otherwise go back to the builder (if they are still around) and ask them about it or keep asking other boaters and engineers until someone recognises exactly what you have there. I can not go into the packing of convectional glands here but it is all on my website. If it turns out to contain packing I will happily email you a copy of original article in an older MSWord format. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.