Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
keef69
keef69

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:46pm

Post Subject: travel pack

Firstly I'm very new to boating, and so I may have left some important detail out, but here goes. On my narrow boat I have a travel pack, and generally I run the engine sometimes in gear sometimes not, and either way the travel pack worked fine for the small use I require from it, lap top, radio that's it. However, recently when running the engine, in gear the needleon the meatre, which indicates the output started to drop for no apparent reason, this steadily increased and now flutuates conciderably. It seems not to like it at all, if I give it a little throttle?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17pm

Dear Keith, Would this be a Travel Power, engine driven mains generator or something else? If it is then the first suspect is a loose drive belt. If it is single or twin V belts then they should have about 10mm give in the centre of the longest run under moderate finger pressure. If its one of the wide, flat polly V belts you should use a belt tension gauge, but once in a while I doubt it will do terminal harm to tighten it until you can just about twist the belt through 90 degrees in the centre of the longest run. If the belt is correctly tensioned then check all the connections for tightness then seek advice form the makers. If it is not a Travel Power then I have no idea what you have. Tony Brooks

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38pm

Hi Tony, thank you for a speedy reply, I think you are right, I have a v belt and it does seem a little too loose, I will see to this matter myself, thank you very much. Keith

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:57am

If this is what I think it is and it is being run from a single V belt you may well find you have ongoing belt problems - especially if you buy belts of unknown quality. If you find the belt life is very short I would advise that you contact the makers/engine marinisers to see about fitting either twin V belts or preferably a polly-V belt. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.