Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
christinea
christinea

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36pm

Post Subject: Running an Aple imac on a narrowboat

I am in the process of trying to run my imac on my boat.I have have a Sterling 1.8KW inverter quasi sinewave which it did not seem to like,I have tried it on a friend's boat who has a Sterling 3KW pure sinewave,with 6 fully charged domestic batteries and it operated OK but would hang and was very slow.I have also tried it on a 1KW generator and it operated successfully.My problem is I cannot run the generator and the computer from 8pm onwards because of the noide levels.Ideally I would like to use it on an inverter,please could you advise.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57am

Post Subject: Running an Apple imac on a narrowboat

Dear Christine, I am not in the least surprised that it did not run on the modified sine wave inverter, but I am surprised it did not run on the pure sine model. A good quality, pure sine inverter normally produces electricity that is far closer to the mains specification than the mains themselves. I know it's hard to credit, but they normally produce less distortion to the wave form and closer voltage control. First I want to deal with the hang and slow bit. If this was anything to do with wireless internet I am not surprised. A narrowboat is a fairly good Faraday cage that shuts out radio signals so unless you can guarantee a clear line of sight, through a window, to the transmitter you will experience problems. If the problems occurred during normal tasks like word processing and the program/system WAS NOT TRYING TO UPDATE ITSELF then I would want to check the inverter output. However the Imac current is very small in comparison to 3KW so it is possible this caused the inverter problems. Before doing anything else try the computer on the inverter while also supplying something like a hair dryer. If this cures the problem you will know to avoid that particular design and also to think about a lower rated one. From what you say and if the internet is not involved I am suspicious of that particular inverter so when you buy one do not buy simply on price and also get the vendor to either demonstrate the inverter running your computer or agree that you can return the inverter it it will not power the computer. Tony Brooks

christinea
christinea

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04pm

Hi Tony thanks for your helpful and prompt reply.Would it be possible to point me in the right direction in terms of manufacturer and type of inverter I would need.I contacted Sterling and they recommended a pro power S 1500w.It's going to be fitted by a boatyard so I really want to get it right.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26pm

I am sorry, but unless I or friends have personal experience of equipment I am not in a position to make a recommendation. The vital thing is that whoever it is demonstrates it running your IMac or gives you written assurances they will take it back and refund you if it will not. As the builder is going to fit it, it might be safer to ask for their recommendations so if it proves to cause problems they, as the supplier, are legally required to rectify it. To be honest I think the most efficient way of computing on board is with a lap top and car power adaptor. That way you do not convert 12 volts to mains and then back to something close to 12v in the computer. However I recognise that has financial implications for Mac users. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28pm

PS - In the light of the 3 KW inverter apparently causing problems I think you must go for a pure sine wave one. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.