Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MatJoTilly
MatJoTilly

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:40pm

Post Subject: Restarting an Engine after winter

Hello there, Usually, over winter, we would turnover our narrowboat engine (Beta 35) every couple of weeks. However we have just had a new baby and priorities have changed! It will probably be at least a couple of months until we get back aboard and I wondered are there any special considerations before turning over again. The diesel tank was left full (to minimise condensation), the antifreeze was changed last year and the strarter battery was isolated. Many Thanks Matt J

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51pm

Dear Matt, first congratulations on the arrival of a new canal nut - I hope. I would be slightly concerned that the oil may have drained away from the bores and bearings so find the mechanical stop control on the engine (get someone to work the control panel stop while you look to see what is moving. Look high on the engine, at the front and on the right hand side, but it may be else where on the 35. Hold the control in the stop position whilst cranking the engine on the starter. Do this until the oil pressure warning lamp goes out. If by a faint chance it will not crank the alternator belt might have rusted into a pulley, but I doubt this will happen in one winter. If so take the belt off. Then try to start it, but hold the heaters for perhaps 30 seconds first. Ignore the clouds of smoke, it should clear within minutes. It would be very advisable to get the engine batter well charged first but if its in fair condition it may well be OK without. By the end of the year remember eyes screwed to various points will allow you to tether the little one with their reigns/high chair harness so they can still move about but not get into danger. Tony Brooks

MatJoTilly
MatJoTilly

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53pm

Thanks Tony for your prompt reply and thanks for the safety tips. We are sure that little Tilly will love boating as much as us.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.