Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
martinsmit
martinsmit

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54am

Post Subject: paint work

hi there. i was wondering if you could advise me please on paintwork we've had done. the bost was built new last year and we then had a complete new paint job, this was done in may 08 about a couple of months later we found that the paint on the hatch cover was starting to blister, with tiny bubbles i then contacted the painter and he said that the cover we put on was put on to soon, not allowing the paint to cure propably, fine i said, he then repainted it and we left the cover off for three months in order to allow the paint to harden. a couple of weeks ago i noticed that same thing has happened again but not as severe, i spoke to the painter again and he said it must be the steel, nothing wrong with the paint, not sure about the steel i said, he then said that it will not get any worse and he would have a look in the summer. since then i've noticed that down one side of the boat the same is happening again as well as in the semi-trad enclosure. i've now lost convidence in him, could you advise, thank you martin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:31pm

Post Subject: paint work

Dear Martin, Hopefully Phil will give his answer, but in the mean time, and a as result of personal experience this sounds like micro-blisters. I would be very interested to know where you had the boat painted, so please email me (see my profile) if you feel able. I had it all over the boat, initially just under the cratch cover and the spreading. The yard told me it was caused by disgruntled employees adding water to the primer, but an independent expert I commissioned found no evidence of rust on the underside of the paint film. My reading of the subject gives more than one cause. Certainly over-painting a surface that has not been given enough time to allow the morning dampness to dry off could cause it, but so can solvent entrapment. This is where a layer of paint skins before the whole thickness has dried. The paint solvent trapped in the "undried" layer then forms blisters as it tries to force its way out. The causes could be an over-thick paint film, application in too high a temperature or using a heat source to touch dry the paint. Applying the next coat before the last one is fully dry will also tend to cause this, as will using incompatible primers etc. As long as the proper preparation has been done and the correct and compatible primer & undercoat has been used I would agree there is probably nothing wrong with the paint, but without an inspection and possible using a microscope I would not be so sure it has anything to do with the steel. My bet would be on the application procedures or environment. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.