Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
balmond
balmond

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23pm

Post Subject: springer V shaped hulls

Hi Can anyone give me any info about, springer V shaped hulls, and their problems and springer boats in general

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46pm

Derek, Springer probably single handedly allowed the present day popularity in canal boating to develop by building affordable boats, but you must understand that although satisfactory they seemed to be built down to a price. This involved using whatever steel he could find at the "right" price and there are even rumours he used redundant gas holder steel. This means that you can never be entirely sure what the original steel thickness was. My advice would be to assume 3 to 4mm when assessing rust pitting. The welding was never done to a high cosmetic standard and cabin sides often were not exactly "straight". None of this means they are a bad buy, but it does mean that there are a good number of elderly Springers that need the hull over-plating because of rust pitting. The only way an ordinary person can find out is to employ a surveyor. The several hundred pounds they charge may seem a lot in comparison to the cost of the boat, but it is not in comparison to the cost of over-plating and the costs of a sinking. Remember that a budget hull will always be a budget hull whatever you do with it so will never attract some of the prices of apparently similar sized boats with a "quality" hull. Apart from the thickness issue V bottoms can have advantages on the less well maintained canals because they can often get closer to the bank, but they may also rock a bit more when people move about on/in the boat. Being an older boat you also have to consider the condition of the engine, gearbox and stern gland, all of which might cause you expense if they are worn out. In my view there is nothing basically wrong with a good example as long as you understand what you are buying. Tony Brooks

balmond
balmond

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:26pm

Thank you Tony.Your information is invaluable, being new to boating I need all the help I can get. I have employed a surveyor to look at the boat that we are thinking about buying.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.