Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barrieaust
barrieaust

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:18am

Post Subject: Stern gland greasing

Hi, I have just purchased a second hand boat and so I am new to boat maintenance. I need to fill my stern gland lubricator with grease. It is the screw type with the T bar which needs to be screwed down after each cruise. My question is, should the grease be re filled from the top of the round cylinder? if so is there any danger of air getting into the system and could it cause any damage? I have tried to unscrew the cylinder from the bottom and it doesnt seem to want to move and I am worried that I may damage it if I force it. Best Regards Barrie.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28am

Post Subject: Stern gland greasing

Dear Barrie, do not worry about air - thousands of boaters get air in there every year, all it will do is to pass into the stern-gear and straight out of the back of the boat. Whilst passing it will be easy to turn the greaser down so you would not normally stop turning until it got a bit stiffer. The easiest way to fill the greaser is to unscrew the whole tube assembly FROM THE BASE. Then using one hand to hold the open end over the hole in the baffle that should in the can of grease apply a degree of downward pressure while the other hand unscrews the T bar. You will feel the greaser move down as it draws grease from the can. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.