Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
grahambro
grahambro

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22pm

Post Subject: Bath Pump Out

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to complete fitting out a narrow boat, I took it over as an unfinished project. I've got all the water systems working and now trying to get the bath pump out to work. The pump is a Whale Gulper 220, Before the waste pipe gets to the pump it passes through, what looks like, 2 flow control valves (this is just a guess on my part. The only thing on these bits of kit is 'Marley Extrusions, BS5254PP, 11/2-40 WPC4'. 2 thin wires go from each of these valves to a little box of tricks, it looks to me like there may be a relay missing off this gizmo, I've searched the net and Marley products but can't find any reference to these bits, nor do I have any fitting or wiring instructions. Can you help?

Bath Pump Out
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22pm

Dear Graham, I am afraid the silly little pictures you can put on the forum makes it impossible to see any detail. If you want me to look at the picture please email it to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk and I will post my reply here. To be honest I do not understand what that box is or why it was purchased, but I do know people try all sorts of complicated things like thinking they need to pump out from the wash basin & the kitchen sink. Unless this is a very odd boat everything but the bilge pumps and shower/bath can drain by gravity. That pump will run dry so the simplest way to control the pump is a suitably rated toggle type switch that you turn on when you starts to shower or need to empty the bath and the off again when done. The noise is normally sufficient to ensure you turn it off again. It might be some complicated effort that will allow electrical switching between sources (like bath or under cabin bilge, but a manual change over valve will be more reliable. I did think it could have been a sump system, but they are not usually mated with that sort of pump. The two valves could be float switches that are intended to turn the pump on and off but this is just needless complication and built in problem items - this type of thing always gets clogged with hair and stuff. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:39pm

Thanks for the photo. I have never seen anything like this befor on a boat, but this does not mean they hav enever bneen us3ed. If you look at the two items in the Ts you will see one is higher than the other and this leads me to believe they are either float of pressure switches, but I have no idea what the two small tubes are for. I have seen such things on washing machine level switches that use air pressure to sense the water level in the drum. If you take the black box off aand invert it I suspect you may find writing that may help identify it, but I doubt it ha sbeen sourced from the marine trade - more like domestic appliance I guess. My belief is KIS and such complications only lead to problems. The Whale pump uses large area rubber "flap" valves so it will parse chunks of muck and will also tend to self clean BUT I could never say they will not leak back becasue of the hair I mentioned in my last answer, however if you route some of the outlet hose below the floor and put a swan neck so the hull outlet is below the highest part of the outlet pipe run I would not expect back flow after pumping to be a major problem, however if both the inlet and outlet valves did get hair wads stuck under them I suppose ou might get a bit. However an automatic system would not later this and may well flatten the battery whilst you area way from the boat by constantly turning the pump on and off as the water runs back and then gets pumped into the pipe.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50pm

Thanks for the picture. I do not know for sure, but I think they are a couple of float valves (but goodness knows what the two small pipes are for)and are a "home brew" attempt at an automatic pump control system. There also seems to be two switches involved as well as the black gizmo. My best advice is to ditch the lot, wire the pump with a rocker or toggle switch and produce a simple and reliable system with little to go wrong. Make sure the outlet loops over in a swan neck before the outlet because sometimes rain can trickle into the hull outlet and that may leak back into the bath. The valves in the pump can pass small chunks of "stuff" and will normally self clean to a degree, but hair can get stuck under them and if this happens to both valves at the same time you might get gradual leak back. I would combat this by trying to ensure the volume in the pipe between the bath and pump is greater then between the pump and outlet, that way any run back should be contained within the hose. No pump will totally purge the water from the pipe, but these do a fair job. Tony Brooks

grahambro
grahambro

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10pm

Thanks for the advice Tony, I will give it a go.....G

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.