Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Linker
Linker

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat hull made of GRP

Hi - more experienced boaters, I would like to buy an old GRP narrowboat hull to refit - do you think that a hull like this be possible to find??? or did I just imagin that such hulls existed!!! Clueless.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:47pm

Post Subject: Narrowboat hull made of GRP

Yes such hulls do exist but now not in significant numbers. There are probably more narrow-beam cruisers than actual narrowboats. Apart from a short lived venture perhaps 5 years ago the GRP narrowboats probably date from the 1960s & 70s as do many of the cruisers and are now not in very good condition. The cabin top to superstructure joint on GRP narrowboats seem to be a bit prone to leaks as do the roofs. GRP, especially from that time, can suffer osmosis which kind of rots the hull from the middle of the GRP so to save problems later I would say an GRP hull should be surveyed by someone expert in GRP hulls before purchase, but that may cost 10% of the boats value which many would consider not worthwhile when compared against the price of the boat. I would say the the thickness of layup in GRP narrowboats and many of the cruisers is greater than in many GRP wide beam cruisers, but quality control is just as important. If its a GRP cruiser like a Dawncraft or Viking then it should be fairly easy to find. A GRP narrowboat less easy but you will soon get used to the more rounded hull and superstructure lines so you can recognise them from photos. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.