Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
lesfragle
lesfragle

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:38am

Post Subject: Electrical - galvanic isolator

Our narrowboat is moored in a marina with shoreline connection to each berth - would you suggest I fit a galvanic isolator ?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04am

Post Subject: Electrical - galvanic isolator

No need to if you continue with your "no hull earth" policy (see other question). If you fit a hull earth then a qualified yes. I would rather you fitted a correctly insulated and wired isolation transformer (see the canalworld forums again). If you decide on an GI, at present I would only fit one myself if it complied with the American ABYC standards. As far as I know there are no UK or EU standards specifically for galvanic isolators and questions have been raised over some of those available in the UK (again see the forums).

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.