Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Julia1
Julia1

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:59pm

Post Subject: low power lights for liveaboard

Hi there, As an experienced boater I wonder if you could give me some adviceâ¦.. I have the usual 12volt lighting system in my 50ft liveaboard narrow boat. At the moment there are a mixture of 10 and 21watt lightbulbs in the fittings which seem to be using a lot of battery power (I have 2 domestic batteries and one for the engine.) I'd like to make the lighting system use less power but without having to buy / fit expensive new fittings. Do you know an easy but effective method of reducing the power consumption of the existing system ? (I am just about to purchase 10watt bulbs for all the light fittings as a start to reducing power consuption) Thanks in advance for any help you can offerâ¦.. Kind regards, Julia Warrington

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54pm

Post Subject: low power lights for liveaboard

Dear Julia, I know you can get 10 watt halogen bulbs in side "normal" bulb fittings that will be a direct replacement for many lamps. I think I have also seen 5 watt ones as well. The 10 watt ones probably give as much light as a 21 watt "car" bulb. There are several suppliers of LED "bulbs" that will fit many lamp holders, however not everyone is happy with the light produced and some have questioned its intensity. It is also vital that any LED bulb you buy is fitted with a voltage stabiliser so that the 15 volt plus spikes one gets on boat circuits does not shorten the LEDs' life. I have heard disturbing reports about warranty issues over premature failure related to one "on-line" supplier so get a written assurance that the bulbs LEDs are properly designed for boat use. Also try one or two to see how you like them. Each "bulb" will require a very few watts.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.