Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
april6
april6

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36pm

Post Subject: Exhaust Outlet

Is it a standard practice to install a skin fitting & hose for an exhaust outlet? I have a wet exhaust system on a narrowboat and the exit is through the side of the hull, hence requiring a flush fitting outlet. I have been advised to use a skin fitting of the required size and just wondered whether there would be any reason that this is not ok? Silly question and hardly technical but...? Any thoughts?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05pm

Post Subject: Exhaust Outlet

Dear April, I would expect the exhaust outlet fitting on a steel narrowboat to be a short length of steel water pipe welded through a hole in the hull. However if there are no welding facilities then a skin fitting will normally be fine as long as some form of sealer is used to waterproof the joint onto the hull. If the hull has vertical sides then in theory banging the fitting into and scraping it along canal edging would wear away the flange so it falls out, but you would have to be an idiot not to see it happening. Also many narrowboats have the hull sided canted in to wards the baseplate or have rubbing bands at the stern which would tend to protect the fitting. I would say weld in if you can and if you can not the use a skin fitting but keep half an eye on it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.