Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Kingmah
Kingmah

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:58pm

Post Subject: Compost toilets

Hello,I'm completely refitting my 35ft narrow boat into a live aboard for two adult(presently back to steel internally) and now looking into possibly installing a compost loo.The reasonings behind this thought being: Space saving,Low running costs,Non Marina pump out dependency and Environmentally friendliness.Do you have any experience with this type of toilet being fitted in a narrow boat, and if so are there any issues I should keep in mind or be aware of? Maintenance routine and continual ventilation requirements aside the only points I can't find an answer to in my research are ones regarding bowl cleanliness and flies(sorry)..Would love to hear from any other boaters who have fitted a composting Loo.. MartinK

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21pm

Dear John, this really is one where you need input from readers and I would advise that you ask on the Canalworld forum. My reading indicates that if they are not level it can cause problems and I do not see how you can get one level in a narrowboat and some types can easily get overwhelmed by liquid waste. The latter point gives me concerns about the bowl as well. I also understand they require a constant electrical supply for their fan and some also use a heater to evaporate the liquid. These have an impact on the boat's electrical system and battery charging. Finally, have you seen one? They do not appear to be exactly small. Over to our readers PLEASE! Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30pm

John, I have not noticed your question on Canal World yet. here is the URL http://www.canalworld.net/forums/ I know there are several composting toilet users on there and at least one who was selling a composting toilet. You really owe it to yourself to contact these people and find out as much as you can about the subject. Expect a range of answers and then you have to try to sort the worthwhile ones out from the rest. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.