Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
daletremon
daletremon

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:42pm

Post Subject: hiring my boat

We are feeling the financial pinch in this credit crunch and wondering how we can cover our mooring costs, license, insurance etc. We have an attractive modern boat and thought we might hire it out to friends. Could you advise us on the legal and practical implications of this? Will we need special insurance? Can we join a canal boat rescue scheme? Will our existing canal license cover us? We would be grateful for some pointers. Best wishes. Dale

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:14pm

Dear Dale, first of all you need to download the Boat Safety Scheme manual and ensure that your boat complies with the stricter hire boat standards (and get quotes for upgrading if it does not). Then go to the BW licensing website to find the cost of a hire license. Also get some insurance quotes for the boat if it is to be let for hire. If the finances still look attractive you need to sort out the newish requirements for handover/training each hirer. I think the Maritime and Coastguard Agency may be hold this information. Practically you need to ensure your mooring owner are happy for you to operate a hire boat from the moorings and work out the practicalities of cleaning and linen replenishment between hirings. I am sure River Canal Rescue (the only waterway wide rescue service I know of) will be happy to discuss covering a hire boat but it will almost certainly not be at their published rates. The alternative is to look in the magazines for hire fleets that offer "sponsored" boats and see if they consider yours is suitable for their needs. However they may demand a livery change and I suspect some would only be interested in new builds to their own plans and specifications. Sponsorship boats are operated by the hire fleet as if it was one of their boats and a proportion of the hire fees are passed to the owners with the fleet covering all the expenses etc. Beware of being seduced by "unofficial" hiring which we know goes on. During this week it appears that a boat has not been returned from hire and is being looked for. The exact status of the boat's license and insurance was not clear when I last checked so if its unofficial the insurance company are unlikely to pay up. Even if the boat is recovered it will probably need the probably "fast repaint job" stripping and repainting. Please take care and do all the sums. I am sure sponsorship in a LONG ESTABLISHED and WELL KNOWN hire fleet would be easiest for you. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58pm

Just an update on the perils of unofficial hiring. The boat I mentioned above is allegedly still missing and I have just read, but can not vouch for the veracity of the statement, that the insurers are likely to, or have, rejected the claim so please take great care. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.