Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
kevin4795
kevin4795

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:00pm

Post Subject: 12volt Battery starter cables

I need to move my battery iscolation switch about 2 to 3 meters from the battery bank(its currently less than a meter). Does this additional distance mean that the cable amp rating should be increased?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46pm

Post Subject: 12volt Battery starter cables

Ideally Yes if the cables were absolutely to spec before, but I have no idea what they are. I doubt using the same size would make a major difference to the starting but the extra resistance could make it take longer to charge the batteries. If we assume the relevant alternator has an 80 amp output then 40mm cable would produce a voltdrop of 0.13 volts with 2m cables and that would be acceptable. However basically on battery cables "the larger the better" rules.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.