Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
tojohnson
tojohnson

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:00pm

Post Subject: Side hatch interior wood fitting

Tony, can you give me some clues as to how to get the interior wooden panel out of a side hatch. On my narrowboat thsi panel has warped due to dampness, but there appears to be no obvious way of removing the panel. I am very reluctant to force it out with a hammer and wedge as I would then potentially have no means of securing the hatch. Are there usually internal bolts welded to the inside of the steel hatch with the nuts securing the wood hidden by filler or trim? I suspect there may be many ways this interior panel can be fitted, but I can't see anything obvious. Many thanks in advance for any guidance, Regards Tony

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:18pm

Dear Tony, I think there are as many ways of securing the panel as there are boat builders. The steel may have been drilled and countersunk than the panel screwed in and the holes filled so the screws are not visible or it may well have been glued in. I think sometimes they are just a hard push fit and as you say it has warped this may be the case during such a wet winter. First carefully inspect the top, bottom and sides of the door for signs of slightly low or uneven areas that may indicate filler. If you find any use a tiny drill in your hand to remove some paint and see if there is filler there. If so you will need to dig it out and undo the screws. You should be able to see there is any trims by looking for the joint where they sit on the surface. Personally I doubt this method will have been used, but it might. If the wood has been painted they may have used filler over nuts, but if its varnish they are more likely to have used wooden plugs and once again you should be able to see at least some of the line around the plug if not the different grain. I suspect one of the structural glues like Sikaflex and I have no idea how to get the panel out without the distinct possibility of damage and I fear the same applies to force fit panels. It will just be a case of looking hard, applying some force to move it a little and then looking again until you an see how it is fitted. Please let me know how you get on and how it is fitted. Tony Brooks

tojohnson
tojohnson

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:52am

Thanks Tony for advice. I'll let you know how I get on next week. Regards, Tony

tojohnson
tojohnson

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51pm

Just got back from boat. Exactly as you said Tony, three countersunk screws each side of the metal frame of the hatch, with filling just visible if you know what you're looking for. Now for getting the screws out, next job of many! Thanks again Tony

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.