Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.


To go back to the experts page click here>>


Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27pm

Post Subject: LED Lighting

Is it possible to replace GU4 halogen light bulbs (on a 12v lighting systm on a narrowboat) with LED bulbs of the same size wihout the need for any other equipment i.e. LED drivers/transformer?


Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:19pm

Post Subject: LED Lighting

Dear Mrs Palin, Some LED bulbs are now available with mains input, these would obviously not work on 12v DC. Other 12v DC LED bulbs are sold for use at home paired with a suitable driver/transformer. These probably would work on a boat without the driver but very likely only for a very short time. Others, specifically marketed for boats, have the driver/surge suppressor built into the unit and these should work well. Every time any motor or other appliance with a coil inside it turns on or off a significant voltage surge is likely to be applied to the boat's supply and although it is over very quickly it is known that these surges damage electronic equipment that is not designed to cope with them like simple 12v LED lamps. Have a look at the Automotive LED Bulbs on ment.htm

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.