Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevebass
stevebass

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22pm

Post Subject: Black water stains on wood

Hi Tony, We recently had a small water leek which we have cured. However it has left a black stain on the Oak ply lining, where it soaked in behind where there is no varnish to protect it. The stain is only about 30mm in diameter but unsightly. Do you know of any products or the best way of getting rid of the stain? I know I will have to probably remove the varnish from on top of it first. Thanks. Regards Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09pm

Dear Steve. You may be able to get rid of the stain by simply removing the varnish and sanding it but take great care not to sand through the oak veneer. I think the acid in oak will cause black marks when it gets wet and is in contact with iron (steel), so if its around a steel pin you may have problems. You can buy special preparations usually containing oxalic acid to remove black water marks on wood, but before you do that apply a little bleach to a small part of the stain because if its is fungal spoors or mould bleach may well sort it out but there again it may leave you with a light patch. Tony Brooks

stevebass
stevebass

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51pm

Thanks Tony for your prompt reply Regards Steve

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.