Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pendave
pendave

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:51pm

Post Subject: Tar Deposits

Help,I am getting a brown tar like substance from my chimney,how can I stop this and how do I remove the stain Best regards Dave Snowdin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:14pm

Dear Dave, this is very common, especially if you are burning not fully dries wood, but solid fuel will do it in cold weather. It is condensation running down the inside of the chimney and running out of the gap between the roof fitting and chimney. The usual (partial) cure is to fit a double skinned chimney with the inner pipe slightly smaller in diameter than the actual stove pipe so the tar drips back into the stove. You may have to fill the void between the inner and outer lining with heat resistant spray foam. The removal of the stains is not easy and may damage the paintwork. I have tried a number of cleaning agents and a variety of "solvents" including some that are highly inflammable but I still had to compound & Tcut the last of the stains from the paint. Tony Brooks

pendave
pendave

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21pm

pendave
pendave

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22pm

many thanks for that advice,much appreciated regards Dave & Penny

hymies
hymies

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13am

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.