Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03am

Post Subject: generators

my enquirey was more like a WHICH generator type of question in as much that i have been looking at the honda eu20i this gives 1.6kw of supply priced at £883 how ever hyundai do one virtualy identical spec but offers 2.7kw but priced at £551, i just wondered if any one knows the quality and reliability of hyundai generators with them being over £300 cheaper.i know all generators make a noise but along with the technology, i.e. pure sine wave, low d.b. noise levels throttle eco; this is what's makes them expensive but why is the hyundai so much cheaper than the honda, can any one help? thanks, alan.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:24pm

Over to the readers for any input on the reliability issue. Now I know you are talking about a petrol generator I would agree that the way many people use and store them on a narrow boat is gross bad practise. It's the petrol thats the problem. Both the generator should be stored so any petrol fumes fall overboard. This rules out storing inside the boat. If the generator and fuel are not to be on display on the roof they should be in a low level vented chamber built to the gas tank specifications so the fuel fumes fall overboard through the low level drain. When in use it should be sited so both any petrol fumes and exhaust gasses can not enter the boat. Lets hope someone can supply you with an answer about reliability but I am not very hopeful. Tony Brooks

1mrfestus
1mrfestus

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:46pm

I have used a Honda EU20i generator for the last seven years. The only maintenance it has required is an annual oilchange/service. The suppliers converted it to run on L.P.G. ( propane ),as, in their oppinion, this makes them a run cleaner, quieter and extends the life of engine oil. I run the generator from a 6kg bottle which just fits in the gas locker with the normal two 13kg bottles, (Colecraft shell). I normaly keep the genorater in the rear cabin and as there is no fuel cotained within it when the gas is dissconnected there are on safey issues.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.