Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bobbys
bobbys

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51pm

Post Subject: Boat electrics

Can you tell me is there a spec for cable colour i am wiring my 36ft narrowboat for 12v

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38pm

Dear Timothy, the short answer is "as appropriate to the market it is to be sold into". However there is requirements if you have mains aboard. My advice is that you produce a circuit diagram and tag both ends of all cables with a numbering system. You can buy a variety of systems that stretch over or are crimped onto the cables. Then use black & red for the 12v domestic systems. This will then force you to use brown, blue and yellow with a green trace for any mains wiring. As you must use flexible cables these are the mains colours readily available. As far as the engine electrics are concerned I have seen three different codes used and each came from the automotive industry, but you do not have to follow any of them. I trust this helps. Tony Brooks

bobbys
bobbys

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:55pm

Many thanks as always for advice tony

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.