Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Promise
Promise

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21am

Post Subject: leaking water tank

My 20yr. old narrow boat has a slight leak in the stainless steel water tank. I don't want to get the tank out for repair at the moment, do I have any options for a temporary repair? Thanks Nick

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09pm

Post Subject: leaking water tank

Just in case you have not made absolutely sure its the tank leaking have a good look because it could be the mild steel filler or breather pipes or the rubber/plastic hose that connects those to the tank. To be honest none that I have any faith would last long enough to make them worth the effort. However you must have sufficient access to it allow you to think about repairing it so, as any welding will almost certainly be electrical with a very local heat, why not seek out a welder and ask if it can be done in situ. If you can get the split free of dampness you could rough the area up with emery paper and degrease it. The try sealing the split with (say) a lay-up of glass fibre scrim (not chopped strand mat) using epoxide resin. You could also try the car body filler with glass fibre strands in it. I have seen patches designed to be stuck over holes in petrol tanks, perhaps one of these would work if they are still available. The problem about any of these is that they may contaminate the split and/or surface and make the eventual welding more difficult. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.