Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
saunders
saunders

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48am

Post Subject: Calorifier connection

After purchasing a narrowboat second hand I discovered the calorifier had never been connected to the engine.Is it just a straight connection or do I require valves etc. The boat has a Bukh DV36 engine in it with a flow and return in 28 mm pipe too a hull cooling system. The calorifier is a vertical one with a immersion heater for 240 volt and connections for the engine coolant situated right next to the engine. Would it be safe to tee off the 28mm pipe if so which way round, please can someone help. many thanks Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46am

Dear Steve, I can speak with authority on this subject having faced this exact problem myself - would the boat be ex-Viking Afloat? I think that if you simply Teed from the main flow & return cooling pipe there is a distinct possibility that there would be poor circulation or even no circulation through the calorifier. The coils in calorifiers tend to come in one of two types. Small bore(say 1/2 inch) thin wall crimped (for greater surface area) pipe or ordinary thick wall (say 3/4 inch+) copper pipe. Look at the pipe unions and through them into the copper coil. If it looks like the small bore crimped tube I fear you will have to T off the flow & return but I would advise that you fit some sort of adjustable valve between the T in the hot, to skin tank, hose and the skin tank. This will allow you to introduce a small degree of resistance in the skin tank circuit to force some circulation through the calorifier yet allow full flow through the calorifier in the case of engine overheating. My guess is the you will have a large bore coil in the calorifier so take a hose form the engine's top, hot outlet into the higher calorifier connection and then another from the bottom to the top skin tank connection. Use at least one inch bore pipe that is suitable for HOT water. Your 28mm suggests you use 28mm hose. This way all the cooling water flow will pass through the calorifier and the engine thermostat will ensure such coolant that is flowing will be well above 70C (depending upon thermostat fitted) once the engine has been running a short while Mine has been like this for 9 years and works well with no signs of any overheating. NOTE TO OTHER BOATERS - This engine is actually a direct cooled engine that uses a rubber impeller water pump. The system has been modified to send the cooling water through a skin tank rather than out of the exhaust so it is rather different to "normal" systems. Tony Brooks

saunders
saunders

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:36am

Hi Tony thanks for your reply I had a look inside the connection on the callorifier. The hole appears to be approx 10 - 12 mm in diameter of which I need to clarify the size for the correct fitting, inside the unit looks as if it has an inner skin not a coil as I had expected too see. Please can you help further thanks Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41pm

So this is probably a horizontal calorifier rather than a vertical one. As the connections to the calorifier are so small you are into experimental territory assuming I am correct about the way your engine is cooled. You can try piping as I suggest but reduce the size of connector to fit AT THE CALORIFIER, but then you might find your engine overheats under high prower and speed when on a river after rain. I have no way of knowing. Alternatively you could T into those 28mm hoses and pipe the calorifier in something like a cars 1/2" heater hose, but then there is a fair chance the water will not circulate through the calorifier. If it will not you may have to create a slight restriction between the T and the top connection on the skin tank so there is a pressure difference between the two large hoses. It really is experiment time but I would love to know how you eventually sort it. Tony Brooks

saunders
saunders

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:10pm

Hi Tony It's sorted at last. I had a conversation with the Bukh engine stockists and after sending a few pictures too them it was quite straight forward, the underside of the thermostat housing has a 5/8" brass plug in it for the flow and the base of the water pump has another for the return too which I connected 5/8" hose connectors and hose no restriction or valves just a home made bleed valve and it works a treat piping hot water after half an hour. I ran the engine for two full days with no overheating which I assume would be enough to think all is well many thanks Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:40pm

Thanks for that info Steve. I know know is probably a heat exchanger cooled engine rather than the direct cooled version because the direct cooled version uses a Jabsco type raw water pump that has no plugs in it. I know it is very hard for our readers to know what details we need to give answers or even exactly what equipment they have, but this is one example of where my guess on what you had was wrong. I am pleased it is all working now. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.