Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41pm

Post Subject: instant water heater ??

Hello, I am looking at a boat with no hot water at the moment. I am right in thinking there is no new instant hot water heater that meets current regulations ? If I am wrong do you know of one ? Thankyou Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00pm

Dear Steve, I have to be careful what I say here because a gas leak may well cause an explosion on a boat. I am going to assume you are talking about an inland boat that is subject to the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS)and is used for privater holiday use. First of all go to the BSS website & print out the BSS guide & study it. You will find that it does not ban instant gas water heaters as such. The problem comes in when you need a professional to install it safely. The Corgi & I assume the new Gas-safe codes of practise prevent their members installing a non-room sealed gas appliance so they should refuse to fit one. However the BSS only says it must be fitted by a "competent person" so if you are "competent" you can fit one - just do not come after me if an insurance company declines a claim at a future date after an accident with it. One of the Morco F-11E is room sealed but requires a 240v ac supply which Morco says can be provided by a small inverter so presumably this one could be fitted as long as a boat allows the required flue specification). Oh, it costs about £400. To be honest unless the engine is air cooled I would be looking to spend that £400 on a calorifier and if a livaboard an immersion heater for use with a shoreline. If there is no shoreline then you will need to run the engine to charge the batteries so that would heat the water. Alternatively something like an Alde central heating boiler could be plumbed just to heat a calorifier. Tony Brooks

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09pm

Thankyou for a prompt and very INFORMATIVE reply. All points noted. Thanks again Steve

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.