Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
richardg
richardg

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02pm

Post Subject: Rudder attachment

I have just had my boat out of the water and it had 3 bolts attaching the rudder to the shaft. 2 of the bolts went right through the shaft and had nuts attached at the opposite side and the 3rd bolt went in from the opposite side,did not pass right through the shaft and stuck out by about 2 to 3 cm. Somebody said it was supposed to be like that but I'm not convinced. Any idea of its purpose?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:15pm

Dear Richard, it all depends upon what you mean by stuck out 2 to 3mm - which end, head end or thread end. I suspect the rudder stock (shaft) possibly has threaded holes on the "nut" side of the shaft with two of the bolts still having lock nuts attached and one where the lock nut has either been knocked or rusted off. Perhaps the stock started life with the holes on one side of the blade being threaded and at some time the threads in two holes got stripped so now you have one setscrew with in the original thread and two with damaged threads but retained by nuts. Without inspecting it and trying to take the setscrews out I can not be any more specific. If its the head end that is standing proud I expect someone has fitted a bolt with the unthreaded shank being too long so the head can not be tightened to the stock. In this acre I would change it for either a setscrew or a bolt with a shorter untreated shank. A setscrew is a "bolt" that is threaded all the way up to the head. The "bolts" hold the rudder blade into a slotted stock. This is common on Broads type cruisers but I would expect a narrowboat to have the blade welded into the slotted shaft because those bolts do occasionally work loose or break. Then you get lost of slop in the steering and can lose the rudder blade. Tony Brooks

richardg
richardg

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49pm

Tony its the head end that stands proud about 2 0r 3 cm and there's no hole for it to come out of at the opposite end. just can't understand why its there unless its to help stabilise rudder?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:43am

Dear Richard, As I said without taking the setscrews out I can not be any more specific. In fact I can not even be sure I know exactly what you are describing. If you take a digi-pic of BOTH sides of the rudder and email them to me (address in my profile) I will have a look. You do not tell me if the stock is mild steel or stainless steel, you do not tell me what type of boat this is and you do not tell me if the rudder and stock has been painted or blacked. If it has you may well not see the other end of the bolt/setscrew. I need the picture by 08.00 tomorrow morning if you need an urgent reply. If this "someone" is an engineer or boat builder from a reputable boatyard then ask them to explain what it is doing - after all they have seen it and presumably have had a good look. I still suspect its a bolt that is too long. If what you say about the hole not going right through the other side of the stock - in otherwords its a blind hole - it could simply be it is too long or that it once had a spring washer on it that has rusted away. I am sorry but with the information you give me it is virtually impossible to be any more helpful. Tony Brooks

richardg
richardg

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12pm

Thanks for your help Tony I checked with engineer and apparently it's a retaining bolt to keep the rudder in place and it screws into a nut which is welded inside the shaft- hence it doesn't come out the other side. They just stand proud which is a bit strange.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.