Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Mr.Punch
Mr.Punch

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40pm

Post Subject: Exhaust pipe lagging.

My BSS examiner has declared my exhaust lagging as "no longer fit for purpose" being around 25 years old. I am wary of removing the existing lagging for fear of what I might find and propose fitting new over the old. Is there a recommended thicknes and how do I calculate how much I need?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:01pm

Post Subject: Exhaust pipe lagging.

Dear Doug, The regulations regarding exhaust lagging can be found in Section 2.15.2 onhttp://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/2ndedBSSE ssentialGuide_212.asp. This is the bible and this is what you have to work to. I can not say anything different. My view is the thicker the insulation the better and assuming you are going to use flat bandage I would try to overlap it in a way that provides at least two and preferably 3 thicknesses. As to how much, that depends upon the length and circumference of the exhaust plus an allowance for extra that may be used on any bends. Then you have to factor in the width of the insulation. Say a circumference of 3 inches, a length of 12 inches and no bends using a 1 inch wide bandage. In theory that would be 12 x 3 x 1 = 36 inches in one layer. So 72 inches for two and so on. However I bet you will end up using more. I am far more concerned about what the existing insulation is made from. It might be asbestos so please keep it soaking wet while you unwrap it, wear a good fine particle dust mask, and dispose of the stuff responsibly. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.