Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevebass
stevebass

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47pm

Post Subject: Rudder bearings

Hi Tony, I have currently got my boat out for blacking. It is a 2 year old Reeves hull. Is there anything i need to do for lubrication of the rudder bearings? There is no greaseer at the top so I assume it is a sealed bearing and can't see how the skeg bearing is lubricated if at all. Is the skeg bearing just a non ferus cup and rudder just sits in it? Thanks. Regards Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10pm

Dear Steve, if you have a cup on the skeg I very much doubt its non-ferrous. If you look closely you will probably see it has been welded on. Scrape away at the welds and I bet you find steel rather than brass from brazing. If it is steel just black the outside. There is nothing for you to do on this boat unless you want to work some stern-gland grease into the cup. It won't do much good, but you will feel better. If you ever get a squeak when you move the rudder lifting the rudder out of the cup and dropping a 1/2d or 1d or a copper washer into the cup for the rudder to sit on has been known to stop the squeak. Tony Brooks

stevebass
stevebass

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27pm

Hi Tony, I feel sure the outside is steel but was not sure if it had a bronze or nylon insert or something. Thanks for your help. Regards Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:57pm

Dear Steve, All those I have seen have been plain steel. An insert might make good engineering practise but its not a highly loaded item and does not even revolve all the way round so I think cost and ease of construction rule. TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.