Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
aynsley
aynsley

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46am

Post Subject: Painting

I have just bought a narrowboat and there are plenty of scratches that need touching up. There are two types now - the completely rusty ones from before buying it and the fresh ones completely down to fresh steel since I bought it. What are the best ways of repainting these areas ? Regards Aynsley

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49pm

Dear Aynsley, It depends upon where the scratches are. If they are on the hull then wash the area around the scratches with sugar soap & rinse off. When dry use abrasive paper to rub any lose rust off and th abrade the others. Then most people would just give the area a couple of coats of compatible blacking although some might use an primer first. You need to check that any primer you use is compatible with the blacking you have. If you have no idea what the blacking is use a bitumen based one. If they are on the cabin side then I defer to Phil's expertise but until he comes along start by a thorough wash down as above and rub out all the scratches to bright steel and also feather the edges of the scratch. Apply an anti-rust primer and build up the scratch with either high build primer of several coats of primer and the undercoat. Once the scratch is just a fraction below the other paint surface apply undercoat and top coats to bring it proud of the surrounding area. Use wet & dry paper, starting with say 400 grit and gradually moving to 1200 grit wet flat the surface back level and the use a polishing compound around the whole area. Ensure the paint has perhaps two weeks or more to harden before wet flatting it. If there is a lot of damage you might find it easier to build the paint surface up as described and then wet flat the whole cabin side and use an undercoat & two top coats. If the paint (not the hull blacking)is really badly scratched OR if when you start rubbing out the scratches you find the existing pain edges keep lifting it might be easier to strip back to bare metal, get rid of the rust and then primer, undercoats and top coats. Allow the paint to harden for several weeks before applying a good wax polish. Tony Brooks

aynsley
aynsley

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:24am

Thanks for info Tony. That fills in the rest of the summer season for me !! Aynsley

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.