Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
solarstorm
solarstorm

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:30pm

Post Subject: kort drive

has anybody fitted a kort tube drive to a widebeam canal boat,i need to understand the dynamics of this system and wether it is advisable to use on canal boats/.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:09am

For others reading this it seems that this is more usually referred to as a Kort Nozzle which i a tube fitted around the propeller. I know some builders have provided this feature on a few boats but never having skippered a boat so equipped I can not give a definitive answer. My feeling is that they would probably cause horrendous problems with rubbish being sucked onto any grill fitted to the face of the tube and if no grill is fitted they would tend to pack plastic bags etc. between the prop blades and tube. Remember canal boats often have their props only inches from the bed of the canal and often the lowest portion is spinning in mud soup rather than water. I think it would help stop the prop spinning water away from itself radially but if after 100 years of powered canal boat development they have not become common place the likelihood is they are not practical. We need more input on this so if any readers boats have this system please let us have your experiences. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:25am

PS I meant to add that the vast majority of canal boats use a reduction box in the drive line and on canals the prop is probably only doing a few hundred revs per minute, so any advantage of counteracting the radial "spin off" from the prop is likely to be limited. Even on rivers with their higher speed limit the prop speed is still not very great. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.