Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bobbys
bobbys

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:23pm

Post Subject: Batteries

Can you recomend the best battery for my boat not going to have anything fancy running off it was going for elecsol 220 but some people say they are not as good as they say.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:29pm

Post Subject: Batteries

Dear Timothy, Any battery you are likely to buy will be some sort of lead acid technology and unless you have a charging system that can charge the batteries to 100% of fully charged within the time you run the engine you will destroy them over two to four years by sulphation. Buying an expensive alternator add on is unlikely to solve this unless you run the engine for 12 or more hours a day. Its the last 10 to 20% if fully charged that takes an exceptionally long time and the only way to solve that is with shore-power and multi-stage battery charger on 24/7 or for a holiday boat perhaps a sizable solar panel. Unless you can get that last 20% of charge into the batteries my view is that buying more expensive types will not be cost effective although some may preform better but will die just as quickly as any other subject to your charging regime. Testing batteries with a voltmeter and getting reliable results is far harder than using a hydrometer so I always advise ordinary wet lead acid batteries as these will be cheaper than the other types but will probably last just as long. The brand you mention are wet lead acid batteries but use a weaker acid however I am not willing to recommend any particular make. If you have not done so already you should work through the power audit and simplified battery & charging calculations found in the course notes on my website (tb-training.co.uk). Only then will you start to get some idea about the battery capacity you will need and the adequacy of your charging system. Also try to understand the technical section on the Smartguage website. That way you will have a much better idea about batteries and charging systems. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.