Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
richard123
richard123

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:25pm

Post Subject: owners manual

Can anybody give me advise on writing an owners manual what info is required, is it to be in any special format,where can i find any info on this subject I have just purchased a sailaway and need to keep the cost down Many thanks in advance Richard

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:40pm

Dear Richard, there are owners manuals and RCD Owners Manuals. An owners manual is a document which has little legal standing so you can put whatever you want into it BUT I think you are talking about the documentation required for the boat under the Recreational Craft Directive and that is a legal document. Mistakes in compiling all the RCD documentation could be considered a criminal offence so it is vital that you know exactly what you are doing - I trust you already have the calculations done to prove the hull meets the RCD or an acceptable statement from the builder thats says it does. You may get help from the RAY or whatever the British Marine Federation call themselves this week. However in view of the potential risks associated with mistakes I must advise you to use a professional AND ensure he carries adequate professional indemnity cover in case they make a mistake that rebounds on you. I have seen adverts in the magazines for this service. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:12am

I suggest you follow this link I have just found. Although the question is about category C craft you can bet you life it will be the same or similar for inland craft. (http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?show topic=22069). If you are talking about RCD compliance you will see how complicated it all gets. Tony Brooks PS RAY in the last post shoudl read RYA - confounded spell chuckers!

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.