Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
martinsmit
martinsmit

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:53pm

Post Subject: inverters

hi there tony i've just purchased a 1800 watt 12v - 240v inverter with a peak of 3000 watts how would i know or work the peak wattage of any appliance as not to damage the inverter. thanks again martin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:33am

Post Subject: inverters

Dear Martin, the peak wattage should also have a time with it like 3000 Watts for 20 seconds. Unfortunately this is often "forgotten" and even if it is given it may be more to do with the marketing department than the engineers - big numbers sell kit! Personally I would not use anything with a rating of more than 1800 Watts. Watts = Amps x volts so if an appliance is rated in amps I would advise that you use 240 as the volts part. It is normal practise to assume inductive loads (those with coils in them like motors)demand a starting surge of 20% more than the rated consumption so that may help you. However if the surge is longer lasting than the surge time of the inverter you may still have problems. Much safer to stick to 1800 Watt maximum appliances. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.61 seconds.