Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
coling
coling

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:33pm

Post Subject: boat starting battery

Hi We have a small narrowboat with a 10.5 hp Nanni diesel engine and we need to replace the starting battery.Could you advise us on the type and size of battery best for the job. The battery that came off was a 90 amp rating ,do we need one as big for such a small engine. Thanks Colin Goulding

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:36am

Post Subject: boat starting battery

Dear Colin, Your engine manual should tell you the size recommended, however I was starting my 35 bhp engine on an 80Ah battery and our training engine of about the same size as yours starts from a 30Ah battery, but I very much doubt the battery will last long. I am also concerned that you quote Ah for a starting battery. Starting batteries should be rated in CCA (cold cranking amps) and probably Reserve Capacity from their use in vehicles. If you do not have the info from Nanni I am fairly sure a 70Ah battery that also carries a CCA rating will do the job. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.