Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mirsini
mirsini

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:53am

Post Subject: boat licensing

I have a 45ft narrow boat. On river Cam. I am totally confused with regard to licences. I find the Environment Agency and the BWA info extremely complicated.I have had a rivers only license for three years only to discover it is not appropriate, does not cover my area at all. Which is the best licence to buy to be legal and to travel wherever i want. Why dont the authorities simplify licensing?? On talking to boat users I find this is quite a common problem. Thanks for your help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:21am

Jonoh, First find out which navigation authority covers your cruising waters. I think it will turn out to be the River cam Commissioners, but I have a feeling they may not have jurisdiction over all the cam. The remainder will be under either the Environment agency or (possibly) the Middle Level Commissioners. Then the rule is you need a license issued by any navigation authority who's waters you use. One thing I am sure of is that you do not need any form of BW license - you are probably a weeks cruising away from the closest BW water unless you cross the Wash! Your particular area is a bit more complicated because of the three navigation authorities, but the good news is that I do not think you need a license for the Middle Levels. The reason why licensing will never be simplified (in my view) is that the jobsworths are protecting their own jobs, but as I say your area is probably the most complicated for licensing in the UK because of the various authorities close to each other. You need to use something like Nicholson's books to plan your cruises and identify the navigation authorities you need to contact. Most offer short term licences for those passing through. Tony Brooks

mirsini
mirsini

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:00pm

Dear Tony, Thanks again. I am very grateful for your help. johno

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.