Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mirsini
mirsini

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:03am

Post Subject: outboard Enfield Leg

A survey stated "excess movement" on the Enfield Leg. A marine mechanic said this is common and there is years left of good safe use with it. Should i be concerned or are these outboard legs reliable.It is on my narrow boat,30 years old, with hydraulic controls fitted in 2004. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:36am

Dear Johno, Unless we are told exactly where the "excess movement" is. The surveyor has a primary duty to whoever commissions him so will identify any fault and in my experience many will turn out to be of little consequence. They will also inevitably be covering their own backs. Unless I know where this play is I can not comment. If its in the bushes that allow it to turn & tilt the mechanic is probably correct (depending upon the severity of the play). If its in the mounting to the transom it could be very concerning. My rather Luddite view is the outdrives on many inland waterways are a recipe for disaster although they are fine for use on deep, clean water. Enfield is usually considered one of the more robust outdrives, but as with all of these on any boat that spends years afloat it is very hard to ensure the proper maintenance of the oil in the leg. Tony Brooks

mirsini
mirsini

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:54am

Dear Tony, Many thanks, very helpful johno

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.