Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:34pm

Post Subject: leisure battery installation

Hello, I am altering the leisure battery arrangement on a narrowboat. Can the batteries be enclosed within a cupboard in the cabin area (not too far away from the alternater) or do they need to be in the engine bay? I believe the isolator switch goes into the negative line between battery & earth, is this correct. Also the starter battery has no isolator, does it require one? Can all negatives of the batteies be common and switched through one isolator to earth? Thankyou in anticipation Steve.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:11am

Dear Steve, I would never fit the master switch in the negative line. There are a number of reasons for this which you will find explained on ( http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/whereiso.html ). As far as I can make out the reason so many boat are fitted that way is because it saves the boat fitter the cost of one master switch as you can then use one switch for all battery banks as long as you take care with your wiring. If you decide to put it in the negative everything will probably appear OK, but the effects in the long term may be expensive. All battery banks require a master switch - see the Boat Safety Scheme website their guide, it's free to download and no boater should be altering their boat without studying it. You can put the batteries where you like as long as you ensure they are in compliance with the BSS. You have done the voltdrop calculations for cable size AND then actually fit over-specified the cables - especially the charging cables. You area ware and make allowances for the batteries to produce a highly explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. On very rare occasions a connection problem, lack of maintenance or proximity to a source of ignition causes a battery to explode. Personally I would prefer it to do that in an area which is mainly metal and is easy to wash down rather than inside the boat. You will also find that if something goes wrong with the charging system batteries can produce a horrible smell and fumes that tarnish metal so again I would rather have them away from the living area but it's for you to decide on the risk of the above and plan accordingly. Tony bros

sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:56am

Once again a big thankyou for your thorough reply. All points noted ... the article was very enlightning !

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.