Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Madmark62
Madmark62

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23am

Post Subject: Batteries

I have recently bought a boat with 12 volt electrics,it has got 2 batteries and I am confused with the power switches. It has 2 red keys for isolators and a big round switch that says 1, 2 both and off, my problem is what do I have to do with this swith? I have noticed that when the engine is running you can switch it over and when it is on 1 the volt reading is about 13-14, when it is on both the reading is the same but when it is on 2 the volts drop to 0, it seems like this is turned off or something. The batteries are both only less than 6 months old. Any help will be much appreciated as I am not the worlds greatest electrician and I would like to know something about the problem before getting an electrician in. Thanks Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03am

Dear Mark, I can not be 100% sure about this sort of topic unless I can inspect & test the boat but from what you tell me: The isolator switches should both be turned on when the boat is in use unless you have anything that requires a permanent feed like an alarm/car radio/automatic bilge pump that are switched through the isolators. In that case their feed needs moving to the battery side of the isolator. From your description about the voltmeter I think the big round switch may well be duplicated by the isolators if all the electrics are dead when this switch is turned OFF. Do not worry about this. Normally the big round switch will either connect the alternator to either one or both battery banks (although you do not mention a "both" position which such switches normally have) OR all the electrics and the alternator feed are connected to the "main terminal and one battery is connected to the 1 terminal and the other to the 2 terminal. IN this way the voltmeter must register either the charging voltage or the battery voltage in any switch position other than OFF. The fact that position 2 seems to isolate the voltmeter makes me thing someone has been modifying the system to fit apparently unnecessary master switches and has fouled up some where. You will find diagrams using the big switch in the electrical notes on my website (tb-training.co.uk). I am sorry I can not be any more help but please keep us informed. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:16am

I have been giving this more thought and have concluded (without inspecting the boat) that the big round switch may well be a redundant split charge system and that your boat may have been upgraded with some other from of charge splitting without the whole of the original setup being remodelled. I think you need an electrician to work out what is going on and recommend your next step. TB

Madmark62
Madmark62

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24am

Thanks for your quick reply and I will get someone out to check things over, thanks again. Mark

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.