Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robdalej
robdalej

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47pm

Post Subject: rev counter query

some time ago i asked Tony hia advice re a rev counter that only worked now and again. we have narrowed the fault down to a fault within the control panel the relay does not hold in and then everything stops working no charge or warning lights.have been quoted £400. for a new panel. my quetion is can i wire up a new panel using a key switch instead of the button push start and where would i find the colour codes for the 12 wires on the vetus 414 loom

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:18pm

Dear Robert, I am sure you can wire things up using a conventional switch and the diagrams are on my website in the electrical notes (tb-training.co.uk). As for Vetus colour codes the best source is the Vetus wiring diagram but failing that I would try comparing the engine end of the cables with a VW car diagram and as the base engine is Japanese with a Mitsubishi car. To be honest I would note the colour of the cables at the engine end and then (with the master switch off) use the beep tester on a multi-meter with one extended lead to check the continuity at the panel end after disconnecting a suitably coloured cable. In any case the item it is connected to should give you a fair idea about colour coding. Is this relay on the back of the engine? Some Vetus engines have a relay and circuit breaker mounted here and the vibrations wreck both over time. The circuit breaker will give odd faults such as you describe. If you have one I would change it for a suitably rated maxi-fuse and holder. Tony Brooks

robdalej
robdalej

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:40pm

thanks for the info. the relay that is not staying on is on the back of the control panel and has been replaced but still has made no difference. have also replaced the relay on the engine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59am

Yes, but if it also has a circuit breaker there an intermittent connection could cause the relay to disconnect. From memory the circuit breaker looks like a cylinder with a button on its face. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.