Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevieb
stevieb

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:18pm

Post Subject: fuse blown

Hi engine is BMC2.2 diesel & has glow plugs that work by pressing button for 20 sec Hope this helps Regards Steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:59pm

Dear Steve, Using resistant data from a large number of car starter solenoids I find the current they are likely to draw is 15 amps and as the BMC 2.2 has a larger solenoid it may draw a little extra. Then there is the fact that the ignitions switch probably feeds some lights and instruments so it is likely that the system is drawing more than 15 amps upon stating (I would have to measure it to be sure). A fuse takes time to blow and there has been a change in the way fuses are labelled. When your engine was new the fuses carried their peak current rating, now they carry their continuous one so if you have to crank for a bit longer than normal or if you changed a fuse it might well now blow. Fuses also gradually lower their blowing value as they age so the original one could have blown due to old age. I can not advise that you simply use the larger fuse because we do not know if that 15 amps is the fusing or continuous rating and we do not know it there is a fault in the solenoid or the wiring. I also do not know the current rating of the cable you describe as thick brown. The rule is that any fuse must blow at or below the current rating of the cables it is protecting. If the supply to the ignition switch cable AND the feed to the solenoid and other ignition fed components are rated at 30 amps then it should be OK to use the larger fuse but you MUST carefully check all cables leading away from the switch for signs of chaffing insulation or terminals bent & touching metal. Personally I think the cable feeding the starter solenoid juts might be 30 amp cable, but that feeding the other circuits is more likely to be 17.5 amp cable. In my view the fuse may be in an odd place. personally I would fuse the warning lamps and instruments but feed the starter solenoid without a fuse. However I must make it clear I have very little to go on and top be sure I would have to test and inspect the boat. Tony Brooks

stevieb
stevieb

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:29pm

Thanks for your prompt reply, i will check out your ideas cable chaffing & size of cable etc. sounds like solenoid could be suspect or cables.I did try 5 20amp fuses & they all blew. 30amp still ok so far.will let you know how i get on. fantastic help regards .Steve

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.86 seconds.