Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
martinsmit
martinsmit

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55am

Post Subject: steern gland grease

hi tony just a quick question this time, what grease would you recommend for the glands and also what engine oil would you recommend for a beta 28 and a prm 80 gearbox, i've looked in both the manuals and they say 15w/40 multigrade, mineral based regards martin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:22pm

Post Subject: steern gland grease

Dear Martin, Most people use Morris waterproof grease in conventional stern glands but I use anything that is of a similar consistency to traditional car grease and does not contain graphite - providing the price is right. Look in the Beta manual and you should also see the API specification for the oil. The 15W40 only tells you how runny it is. The two letters after API tells you how it performs. The letters will start with a C (for compression ignition engines) an the next letter gives its qualities. I can not go against what Beta say but Beta seem fairly relaxed about bore glazing so I expect it will say something like API CD to CF. Then look for a 15w40 oil with an API spec that falls within the range Beta give. As long as the 15W40 and API spec are correct I could not care less who's name is on the can and I object to paying for marketing so I often use Comma oils. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.