Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
fowler4f
fowler4f

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:43pm

Post Subject: Engines

Hello Tony, We intend to purchase a 58'bespoke liveaboard NB continuously cruising for some time to see all the country. I would want a travel power alternator fitted to a 43hp engine. Which engine would you prefer a Barrus Shire or Beta or other? Most of our electrical appliances will be 240v. Thanks Charley & Marie

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:13pm

Post Subject: Engines

Dear Charley & Marie, A while ago I wrote a piece on selecting a new engine and the conclusion I came to in respect of the more common units is that service & backup is more important than the Marniniser or make. I have since modified my views, but it still applies to those two makes. For a long time Beta seemed to have a better reputation for customer service but over the last few months it seems E P Barrus have upped their game. To be honest I would look at the service items and "on engine" electrical equipment and choose the one that has the easiest access/remove/refit for those items. I get very jumpy when I read statements about 240V equipment on boats. Experience shows this way often is a portent for expense & disaster. I know you have not asked, but please be sure YOU carry out a power audit for your proposed boat and also do the charging & battery calculations. You will find a simplified set in either set of notes on my website. You may well find that you need to run far longer each day than you think you will and/or renew the domestic batteries at frequent intervals - say 2 years or - less if you do not balance the loads, battery bank size and charging output/time. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.