Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
paulinek
paulinek

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55am

Post Subject: Diesel filling

I have just sent a letter to the editor but thought perhaps it should go to you - I filled with diesel at Fenny Compton yesterday (self service) on removing hose the metal end touched the edge of my filler and there were some sparks. Why? How can I stop this happening again? Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:23am

Post Subject: Diesel filling

Dear Pauline. I assume you did not have a shoreline connected at the same time! If so you may well have a fault on the mains wiring. If this is a steel boat with the filler electrically connected to the hull then I am afraid I have no answer for you because any static built up in the filler pipes & fuel should have discharged via the hull into the water. If the boat has just been blacked I suppose there is a possibility the hull was isolated from the water, but the anodes should have been exposed. If this is a GRP boat then it was probably static caused by filling the boat discharging. The way to stop it is to run a cable from one of the filler fixing bolts to something like the raw water inlet. This gives a path for the static to discharge. I understand all diesel pumps have their filling nozzles "earthed" via a metal mesh layer within the filling hose. However there is always the possibility that this particular pump does not have such protection so it could have been static jumping from the filling nozzle to your boat. It is not unknown for people wearing nylon type materials suffering static shocks caused by their clothing but the earth bonding on the filling nozzle should have discharged any static on yourself so if that was the cause it still means there is a problem on the pump. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.50 seconds.