Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
janetg...
janetg...

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:46pm

Post Subject: freezer

We have a freezer fitted in a cupboard at the back of our boat in the spare bedroom. Under the bed in there is a radiator fitted of which we cannot turn off when we put the hot water system or heating on, and so the freezer on the side where the heat comes up from the radiator it dose not freeze fully. So consiequenly i have a freezer that only 3/4 freezers. Been in touch with boat builders and freezer company but no joy with them, seems as they are just scratching there heads with no ideas for us. Wonderd if you have any suggestions of help for us. Up to now we have not had food poisening ???

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32am

Dear Janet, I am going to assume that this is a compressor freezer (one with a motor that tuns itself on and off). I also do not know if this is a mains freezer running from an inverter or a 12v freezer. This is important because unless you chose the freezer it may well have been bought on price so its thermal insulation may be "suspect". Modern 12v fridges and freezers from reputable companies seem to be very well insulated. The next thing is that someone does not seem to understand how fridges & freezers operate. The black "wire grid thing" at the back is a radiator which is used to dump heat from the fridge into the air. If anything reduces the temperature difference between that grid thing and the air then less heat will be transfered and the less efficient the freezer. Normally, on boats, this temperature difference is reduced by boat builders ignoring the ventilation requirements set out by the manufacturer. Often they say things like "this appliance requires a 2" gap above and a 1" gap at the sides of the appliance". Boat builders often build them in with no or very small gaps. It seems that your situation is worse because you are actively heating the air in the vicinity of the freezer. It seems your design leaves something to be desired. Now how to mitigate it. First of all it is vital that your find a way of putting a heat barrier between the radiator and the freezer. Thin plywood and some (say) 25mm or 50mm expanded polystyrene from a builders' merchant will do. Then you need to improve the flow of COLD air over the wire grid thing. Getting cold air to it is normally fairly easy by cutting/drilling large holes through the floor into the bilge so cold air from the bilge can be drawn up by convection. If it is a 12v freezer you may well find there are a pair of connections on the control unit that will allow you to connect a 12v computer fan that actively blows "bilge air" up whenever the compressor is working. The bigger problem, without seeing the boat is getting the how air away from the top of the freezer. This may mean drilling the worktop or ducting hot air up at the back of the cupboard above the fridge. I can not help you with this because I do not know how the boat is fitted out. You should find the freezer manual with all the other equipment manuals within your RCD compliant boat manual. Actually I fear your boat possibly needs a certain amount of redesign. Tony Brooks

janetg...
janetg...

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14pm

Thank you Mr Brooks for your reply we will try some of your suggestions so we may be back in touch, we dont know yet. But the frezzer was installed by the boat builders, when it was built,last year 08. It is a joint 12v battery /mains electic one.To help you understand.Thanks Janet Gibbins

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.