Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robelli...
robelli...

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:07pm

Post Subject: Gas Locker or Self Draining Cockpit

Dear Tony, I have a 30ft tug style narrowboat ( circa 1979) which before my ownership had been quite extensively modified and I am unsure whether the compartment designated for the LPG gas would be defined as a 'locker' or a 'self draining *replaced* -pit' according to the BSS standard. I understand different safety criteria apply to different types of gas storage areas. The 5kg gas bottle is located in a small bow storage compartment (at foredeck level) of which the bow forms the sides and top with a fairly thin welded steel floor panel. The gas bottle needs to be made secure, It is accessed via a removable side hatch with a rubber seal which is secured by four fixing bolts The hatch fixing is not gas tight and it opens to the 'outside' directly onto the foredeck and is about 27inches from the cabin doors. There is a drain hole approx 1 inch diameter either side at the bottom of the compartment well above the water line. These are in addition to the two water drain holes on the open deck itself which is completly divided from the compartment by the bulkhead framework. . I have a feeling that the compartment may not have been originally designed specifically for gas storage and I am aware that I need to deal with all the gas safety issues. I'd welcome your advice as to whether I need to be thinking in terms of a dedicated gas locker or whether this type of compartment by it's design could be considered to be a self- draining locker and therefore subject to the BSS check 7.2.4/R . John Brookes West Midlands

Gas Locker or Self Draining Cockpit
Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54pm

Post Subject: Gas Locker or Self Draining Cockpit

Dear John, I think your best course of action is to contact the Boat Safety Scheme office for advice on this. They may well require annotated and dimensioned diagrams of photos. My feeling is that as long as there is a significant upstand across the front door it will be OK, but I have sufficient doubts to make me unsure. Sorry, Tony Brooks

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.