Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
johntrett
johntrett

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18am

Post Subject: earthing my arials

I would like to transmit H.F. from my narrow boat (I'm a Radio Ham)but am worried about electrolysis when I connect the antenna earth to the boat hull (perfect ground plane!) any ideas?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:24pm

i have no idea about HF, but I know most GRP boats (if not all) connect their VHF earth to a ground plate bolted through the hull and we hear very little or nothing about ground plates falling off or being eaten away. The surface area of a narrow boat hull is far greater than a ground plate so any corrosion would be expected to be spread over a large area. I have no idea if any induced currents in the aerial when the set is turned off will be directed to the ground but I would have thought that unless you spend hours per day on the set you would not be likely to experience problems. However I must stress this is way outside my area of competence. Tony Brooks

johntrett
johntrett

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22pm

thanks for trying Tony, I guess its suck it and see. I'm hoping the anodes don't dissolve too quick thanks again John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.